Friday, February 27, 2004

10:15 Saturday Night



More like 10:30 Friday morning as I start this, but that's not the point.

Yesterday after Caitlin and I had lunch at the Mongolian BBQ place (mmmmmmmmm), we stopped in at Tower Records. To paraphrase an old saying, it's not as good as it once was, but it's as good once as it ever was. Meaning they just don't have the kind of selection that I'd like to see, but once in a while, I can find something I want. In this case, it was the new box set from The Cure -- "Join The Dots - B-Sides and Rarities - 1978->2001 - The Fiction Years" (longest title ever!). In the accompanying book, Robert Smith is quoted as saying " "The first thing I ever did when I got a new single, was flip it over and play the other side. I always hoped the B-side would give me another version of the artist, something as good as the A-side but somehow different. I expected great B-sides from the artists I loved... "

I'd say that he managed to deliver a lot of those great B-sides with his band. So did New Order, Depeche Mode, The Clash . . . well, you can see where my musical preferences still lie.


And the tap drips, drip drip drip drip drip drip drip . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home