Thursday, October 14, 2004

You Have To Ride The Elephant



Several years ago, I lived in the nice little town of Coventry, CT. At that time it was still mostly rural, although I'd have to guess that by now it has become more of a third ring suburb for Hartford. One particular summer, a small circus came through town, stopping for just one night. It was encamped at a field near the high school, just a short walk from my house, so I headed up to see what was going on.

I don't recall there being much to it -- a single tent, a tiny midway, and the one thing that really caught my eye, an elephant ride. One medium size elephant and the chance to ride around in a circle for a minute or two. Seemed like it might be fun to do, but for some reason, I decided to wait. I figured I could go ahead and get my ride afer watching the main show. So I went into the tent and watched the different act.

Of course, when I came out of the tent, the elephant was not there. No ride for me. I couldn't go back the next day; like I said it was just a one night visit. That little circus never came back to town, either. There might even be other places and times that I could have the chance once again to ride on an elephant, but I don't recall them. I'd probably need a bigger elephant these days anyway.

In any case, ever since then, I try to avail myself of opportunities as soon as they arise. This is my "You have to ride the elephant when it's there" philosophy. Sometimes my innate shyness overcomes the elephant, but I try to remember that night.

[N.B. I'm sure there are all sorts of reasons why the circus was bad, and the poor little elephant was being treated badly, and blah blah fishcakes. That's not the topic.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home