Friday, January 14, 2005

Letter #2

Dear American Express:

Thank you for your repeated offers of a platinum American Express card. I'm not interested in one at all, certainly not at an annual membership charge of $395, but it's nice to know that you think so highly of me.

I'm curious though as to why you think that bombarding me with these offers every month is a useful marketing tactic. Mostly it's annoying, and I can't help but think that that the annual fee could be dropped down to, oh say, $350, if you weren't spending so much money on fruitless solicitations.

One would like to think that carrying a platinum card conveys a certain type of class, yet what your continued come-ons remind me more of a young child saying "does this bug you? does this bug you? I'm not touching you. Does this bug you?" Probably not the image you are trying to project.

I'll tell you what . . . I'm a fairly intelligent guy, and I would probably, as you say, find that the highly individualized services and benefits of the platinum card are well suited to my needs. So if I should ever change my mind and decide I want a platinum card, I'll be sure to let you know. I've got your number right here, and I know your website address. In the meantime, why don't you just go ahead and assume that I'm not interested and save us both some time.

Your pal,
Larry Mac
Member Since 1980!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home