Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Wake Me Up Before You Go Go



I have a clock radio that I've had for a long long time. Twenty years? Probably. Maybe even more. Some of the buttons don't work very well anymore, and the display seems to be getting dimmer with each passing year, but it still serves it's purpose. I like the tone of its beep, which is not overly harsh, yet sufficiently annoying. I like the fact that it has a full ten minute snooze, which can be sort of be doubled to twenty if you turn down the radio volume.

I have the volume turned up these days. Not a lot, just enough to hear the soothing tones of Bob Edwards as Morning Edition starts. Actually, I have the alarm set for a few minutes before 5:00, and usually find myself gently wakened by some classical music.

This morning, however, the music, while classical, could hardly be called gentle. No, this morning the overnight guy decided to play the O Fortuna from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.

YES I'M AWAKE, THANK YOU, WCVE. Thank you so bloody much.

Ever wondered what they were singing about?
It's not pretty.

O Fortuna
velut luna
statu variabilis,
semper crescis
aut decrescis;
vita detestabilis
nunc obdurat
et tunc curat
ludo mentis aciem,
egestatem,
potestatem
dissolvit ut glaciem.


O Fortune,
like the moon
you are changeable,
ever waxing
and waning;
hateful life
first oppresses
and then soothes
as fancy takes it;
poverty
and power
it melts them like ice.


Aloha!
Tomorrow I leave for vacation on the beautiful Garden Island of Hawaii, Kauai. I might create a post or two from there, but don't hold your breath.

current music
not feeling musical right now, I don't know why

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home