Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Live Strong

I'm not sure why this has become a question all of a sudden in the last few days, but let's get this resolved.

It's a LiveStrong wristband. I bought it from the Lance Armstrong Foundation. All the proceeds from the sales go to support the Lance Armstrong Foundation's efforts to "help people with cancer and their family members live strong." More information is available at the laf.org website as linked.

I started wearing my wristband last summer, because I had been impressed by Lance Armstrong's personal story, and I received a wristband as a gift from a friend. My first band broke, probably from being being put on and taken off of my fat wrists, so I ended up buying a package of ten from the above-linked website.

Since that time, I've learned that a close friend is living with cancer and when I wear my wristband, I try to think about him and what he is dealing with every day of his life. (This is for you, Domo...)

I'm not impressed with everybody and his uncle having co-opted the wristband concept. I'm especially not impressed by places like 7-11 that will sell you a "Support Our Troops" wristband for $2.95 and only use $1 of the price to actually support our troops.

Hey, I have a reason for wearing my wristband. If you'd rather hold me in contempt, then I guess that's your prerogative. But I think you're wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home