Saturday, May 01, 2004

Superstitions and Traditions


First of the Month
Rabbit Rabbit.

Make A List
Music I played while driving to my interview yesterday:


  • PF Project - Choose Life There are seven mixes on the disc I have, I stopped after four.
  • Sugar - Beaster More below.
  • Frou Frou - Details I can't stand Imogen Heap's solo stuff, but I like this.


Eclecticism, thy name is Larry Mac.

Tell Me About A Time When . . .
I hate job interviews. And I really hate the kinds of questions that seem to have a hidden agenda. Nonetheless, I spent a fair amount of my drive from Richmond VA to Springfield VA yesterday running through those kind of things in my head, so I could be ready for anything. Of course, I was mostly doing this while listening to Beaster.

So yeah, there I am, looking all sharp in my crisp white shirt, spiffy art deco tie, JC Auto blasting from the speakers ("I'm your Jesus Christ, I know, I know") and in my head there's a dialog going on ("What is one of your weaknesses?" "Well, I'm not up to speed on Win2K like I used to be on OS/2, but I know that there are a lot more resources available now to . . . blah blah fishcakes.")

Anyway, I highly recommend listening to Beaster if you have to get ready for an interview. Maybe not the lyrics so much, but the music got me going. Thanks, Bob!

Like a bolt out of the blue, fate steps in and sees you thru
Somewhere north of Woodbridge, I saw a truck carrying a load of hay. When I was a kid, we were always told to make a wish when you see one of those. Since I'm still a kid at heart, I made a wish. No, I can't tell you what it was, I want it to come true. (Aside: I really hate it when people ask "what did you wish for?" DON'T THEY KNOW THE RULES?!) Then I saw another hay truck. So I wished again. Then a third! I covered a lot of bases in the course of five miles in the vicinity of Woodbridge.

You're gonna make it after all
Anyway, I felt really good about the interview. Despite my Sugar-fueled preparation, I didn't have to deal with any of those "standard" questions. We talked about the installed system, my background using the software, nice hard technical stuff. I could kick ass at this place.

Which means, if they agree, that I'll probably be moving to NoVA or DC. I'm sure the sticker shock of that will hit me soon, but the idea really appeals to me. I've been a suburban boy for almost all my life. I want to experience the big city. I want to stop driving everywhere and take The Metro. I want to have too many choices for things to do on any given evening.

I want to walk into the center of Dupont Circle and throw my floppy hat up into the air.


current music
Various Artists - A Means To An End - The Music Of Joy Division

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home